Friday, January 01, 2010

The Contra Entry- Part II

CONTINUED from part I ,published yesterday ........

Hey hey don’t go away !! The contra entry continues…

its Dee here (the deceiver) as the Vee calls me. First of all, It didn’t began on the conference day as Vee is trying to make the reader believe .. Let me say that it began much in advance and I had met the Vee much before .In fact from the first day when I saw him sitting in the Library with a large bubble blown out from his face which hadn’t seen a shaving blade for ages….

"You cannot sit and chew Gum here" .. some one at the reception was telling him and pat came his reply “ so can I stand and chew Gum here?” I saw a weirdo then and there and knew that he would make my job an inch more difficult.. not that I hadn’t seen nuts looking like guys before but this one was going to be special I knew…

He was the one who sat reading a newspaper when a seminar was on.. he sat in his usual back benches from where the even normally tall guys could see nothing, let alone this 4 feet 3 inch …He came at the last minute always (with his shoes half worn , a precariously dangling lap top bag and a neck tie hanging from almost his stomach) and would deliberately get only the last benches and feigned remorseful for the same….. when caught he wore shamelessness as a decoration, and audacity dripped from his shaven face( short term punishments work) and when I asked him 'don’t you get time to read newspapers at your hostel before coming to college?' He looked at my eyes and said 'No sir!!!' One thing he is silent of is that in the melee he dragged his neighbour as well, saying it was his news paper and he asked me to read it…That was the moment I knew he will one day join advertising !!!

He was so fond of reading news papers and he was granted the wish, except that he had to do it standing at the main door, loud and with drama as if he was some TV news reader…

I am tall and charming and I know that (the self obsessed narcissist that I am) but see how carefully he portrays me as if I am a modern day Krishna if you can read between his lines… Always surrounded by girls is a flattery for anyone but a Professor…. And including the "one girl he was hitting at was behind me" – he says…… Hitting at girls and making them hit you were really two different ball games but this future ad guy( with all his biological senses active) would never understand it .. I taught advertising and not how to make girls fall for you and hence I abstained…

I gave him dirty looks as I would do to any road side ruffian sitting with one leg up on his chair and a shoe half a kilometer away, and his perpetual obsession to his lap top and the stupid rock music that he saw and lived with…
I gave him dirty looks at his seeming state of trance where for him,the world is a rock stage and the people there were his vocalists or heavily amplified guitar players and he lead them pushing its boundaries to absurd eternity…

Brilliant answers he gave for sure in my paper but when a brilliant prof teaches, any jug head would do that.. no great advertising genius ….. I made stones laugh for sure as I have seen him laughing and falling off his chair mostly for proving a point that he too was intellectually equal to the others in his class to be able to grasp my humour… I was never a competition to any one.. I was above the petty battles of the mortals..cult brands are not competed with.. I wonder why this Ad Guru hasn’t got the simple point yet?

I rarely get such pleasure as I am getting now in exposing people, fakes of the tallest order.. .........campus placements and for this guy?
For some one for whom no company , not even the biggest of MNC’s could look better than even the smallest of ad agencies, for some one for whom thinking out of the box was more important than the box itself, for some one for whom customs couldn’t be allowed to stale his infinite variety of life, for some one for whom every day was a big idea, it simply should have happened.. He should have joined advertising .. and finally the phone call… when he called and said he got a job in an ad agency ( I don’t dare to name it here, and it doesn’t matter … agencies still do classical mistakes) I had a smirk for sure.. a loud one at that… But the reason was different… I love the industry for all its charm and in spite of all its if’s and but’s but now this was too much… I smirked for the simple reason that I was now sure that even God can now not save my beloved industry…I had wept as well.. at various levels- from the way he carried himself to the way he intruded into my beloved industry....

His bubble will grow and burst one day and the whole ad world will be stuck in it… the rock star in him will come out one day letting loose a din, celebrating bedlam, breaking nerves, leaving pain and smashing guitars and still calling it music….

Amen !

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails